Skip links and navigation

Health consumers

Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Health Consumers

If you are like most people, you probably don’t like to complain, but complaints about health services are very important. They can identify areas for improvement, stop the same problems happening again and help to make health services better for all Murri.

The Office of the Health Ombudsman works with healthcare consumers and health service providers to resolve complaints as quickly as possible.

Our service is independent, impartial and free.

Should I make a complaint?

If you are not satisfied with a health service provider, or any aspect of a health service provided to you, a family member, or someone in your care, then it’s your right to make a complaint.

Who can I complain about?

You can make a complaint about any health service provider or any part of a health service provided in Queensland.

A health service provider could be a:

  • doctor
  • nurse
  • dentist
  • optometrist
  • hospital
  • general practitioner
  • community health service
  • physiotherapist
  • massage therapist.

What can I complain about?

Your complaint can be about any part of a health service that you are not satisfied with, such as:

  • your diagnosis or care
  • sharing information without your permission
  • inappropriate behaviour by a provider
  • the quality of the health service provided
  • how a provider has dealt with your complaint.

How do I make a complaint?

Before making a complaint, try talking with the health service provider.

If you don’t feel like you can do this you can contact us online, in writing, over the phone or in person at our Brisbane office.

It is against the law for a health service provider to punish you for making a complaint.

We understand that making a complaint can be a hard thing to do, but we will work with you to make the process as simple as possible.

What we will do

We will assess your complaint by talking to you to gather information and then decide whether to take your complaint forward by:

  • attempting local resolution
  • attempting conciliation
  • referring your complaint to another relevant agency
  • formally investigating
  • taking immediate action against the health service provider.

If we decide not to take your complaint any further, we will explain why and may offer other options.
We will always keep your complaint on record to identify any patterns.